Essex County Council, through Essex Housing, is bringing forward plans for a new modern library for Shenfield.
The plans would see the current library building – which is in need of ongoing costly repairs – replaced with a brand new, larger and more flexible library. It would also include the addition of a space suitable for commercial and community activity and an enhanced outdoor public area at the front. Your new library would be funded through the modest development of up to ten residential apartments above the ground floor. Before finalising our designs and submitting a planning application for the new development, Essex Housing are sharing the proposals with you and inviting feedback.
- A modern library with a floorspace of 286 sqm – larger than the current library.
- All aspects of the current facility would be updated and improved, including the main library and the children’s library.
- It would be spacious and open-plan. Floor to ceiling glazed windows at the front and sky-lights at the rear will ensure natural light is maximised.
- There would be a meeting room available for use by library users and local groups.
- A commercial unit in a prime location on the corner of Hutton Road and Friars Avenue could be home to a retail or café business for example.
- The outdoor public space at the front of the library would be enhanced.
- In creating this design, we have listened to the views of the library service, planners, highways planners, local representatives and stakeholders
To find out more, please visit Shenfield Library's website.